Sunday, November 10, 2013

Signs of the Times (and the Koreans)

This snowman cracks me up. 
I've been collecting more Korean signs and logos that need sharing.  Here are assorted pictures with comments that may or may not explain what these are about.


Part of a sign about upcoming sales at Lotte,  a premiere department store.

Ah, the boldness of medical marketing.  From Costco in Daegu
(about 75 miles from Pohang).

I hadn't previously  realized the importance of beef sexing for
your average meat customer.

From a Costco bread display.  I would like to believe this is a bad
translation of "wheat germ."

In case you wondered just how much weight you would lose while admiring
the fall colors and waterfalls at Bogyeongsa.

I can't decide how many of these to buy for Christmas presents,
just because I can.  (Jukdo Market, Pohang)

Some people must appreciate the soothing, pre-printed meditations  on their plastic dressers (E-mart in Hyeunghae).

For those of us wondering what to call this big old pane of glass
being installed in the Seoul subway.

Happy sentiments from your friendly dry cleaners.


Um, no.  Really.  Keep your flatus to yourself, please. 

This says Korean Moms Career Day.  But the pictures suggests
a McDonald's match-making service. 

POSCO is one of the very biggest steel makers in the entire world.  But this sign raises some question about its mission.  Or its marketing team.
On a prominent sign at Bukbu welcoming all the foreign nationals
in Pohang.  Sorry, Rwanda. 

On the front door of The Sunshine Hotel which appears to be
a prominent "business" or "love" hotel.   Perhaps the American song lyric plus
a weird old English poem are intended to draw an international clientele.

Not really sure what was intended here, but I appreciate the warning.

We're not sure what we sell, but it's pretty good. 

Despite the confusion about what kind of food they serve, it was fantastic.
(I'd call it French/Korean fusion, at Mom & Sons restaurant.)

One of my favorite Korean knock-offs of North Face brand.  

Yet more Korean knock-offs.

And who wouldn't like their shoe philosophy
printed right on their slipper?

Not sure what message they were going for here.
Nothing like freaking out the kids with a creepy message on their trash can.

2 comments:

  1. I'll take some if the biblical food for my core 399 class -- seems consistent with the biblical narrative. I didn't know the Koreans had it all figured out already

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, questions, insights, etc. :)