Sunday, March 8, 2015

Stripper Shoes (or, I Told You So)

This is not really my story, but I'm part of it and it makes me laugh so much that I must share it which keeping identities confidential.

A lovely international woman I've met here in Korea, whom we shall call X, is someone who I see as a good friend but I fear she maybe views me more as an aunt or a mom due to our age difference (wow, it's about 20 years, now that I do the math).   Anyway, we enjoy each other's company and like having coffee and watching movies together, etc.  One night she brought over some clothes that she thought Elisabeth might like to have. Indeed: the shirt and sweater were a hit. but I put a stop to the dress shoes. Elisabeth is only 12 and has no occasion to wear 4" stiletto heels, no matter how much she begged about the unlikelihood of finding such nice shoes in her size (they both wear 9.5) and no matter how much X joined the argument to let my poor daughter have these nice shoes.  No, no, nope. And then, in a verbal show of stamping my foot, I might have been a wee bit too blunt when I said to X, "Elisabeth really doesn't need stripper shoes."  I probably hurt X's feelings, but she recovered quickly and mentally justified my response: "Oh, Sherri is kind of old and doesn't really know what "stripper" shoes are!  I wore these nice neutral shoes to a Christian wedding!  Silly middle-aged mother."

The Shoes.
A few days later, X advertised her shoes on our city's Facebook Bazaar page, where we buy and sell all kinds of stuff from left-over taco seasoning to rice cookers to mobile phones.  X soon got an interested buyer, and they agreed to meet for the sale.

When two men walked into the meeting place, looking intently at X, she assumed they were her buyers but must have come to get the shoes for a girlfriend.  Jokingly, X asked "Why don't you try them on to see if they fit?" And to her great surprise, one of the men quickly agreed - and declared them to be a perfect fit.  And then mentioned that the shoes would be a wonderful addition to his upcoming drag queen show.

Wow.  So, ok, admittedly I was wrong: they indeed weren't "stripper" shoes.  But, oh, the end of the story does mean I won back some points with X.  Maybe I'm not that old or ignorant after all.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, questions, insights, etc. :)